This Skill Set covers making improvements to energy usage within a work or process area of production or logistics where energy has been identified as a priority sustainability issue. The scope includes products made, services offered and the use of sites by a supplier or customer member of the value chain.
The units of competency in the Improve energy usage for a work area Skill Set are:
- MSS014002 Evaluate sustainability impact of a work or process area
- MSS014003 Optimise sustainability of a work or plant area.
Improving energy usage for a work area includes:
- Identifying and short listing the sustainability issues, interactions, impacts and environmental sensitivities in the work or process area
- Measuring and estimating the energy use and waste
- Analysing the energy use and waste data
- Identifying and ranking the possible root cause/s of the wasted energy
- Developing recommendations to improve energy efficiency which do not make health safety and the environment or production performance worse
- Selecting and prioritizing recommendations and developing a plan to optimise energy efficiency
- Implementing energy efficiency improvements and continuous improvement strategies to ensure production systems comply with sustainability requirements.
MSS014002 Evaluate sustainability impact of a work or process area is used to identify the sustainability issues for the steps within a selected process. The issues are prioritised based on their sustainability impacts and the context of the business, including its goals and any environmental sensitivities – such as community perceptions, past breaches or complaints, regional issues or climate considerations.
MSS014003 Optimise sustainability of a work or process area is used to optimise the sustainability impact for the work or process area and it includes implementing long term continuous improvement strategies.
The Skill Set is targeted at people such as senior operators, supervisors, team leaders, OHS managers, maintenance staff, sustainability officers and technicians who optimise process systems as part of their job.
In order to be able to define and analyse the sustainability interactions that occur at each step of the work area process the learner will need to have operational skills and detailed knowledge of the work or process area, the process and changes which occur, the key items of equipment and their purpose and the ability to recognise sub optimal performance.
They will need to be able to interpret the operating procedures, schematics, drawings and other sources of technical information.
The Audit energy usage for a work area Skill Set can be used as preparation for the Improve energy usage for a work area Skill Set where the energy efficiency is evaluated and improved. In some situations it might be useful to deliver these two Skill Sets together, because they have the unit MSS014002A Evaluate sustainability impact of a work or process area in common.
The Improve energy usage for a work area Skill Set is applicable to plants seeking a broader analysis than that covered in the Determine energy usage Skill Set as it allows for covering the value stream more comprehensively, for example, by looking at energy use from production through to consumption.
The Determine energy usage Skill Set can be used as preparation for the Improve energy usage for a work area Skill Set where the energy efficiency is evaluated and improved.
The Improve energy usage for a work area Skill Set can be used to implement the proposals to improve energy efficiency developed in the Audit energy usage for a work area Skill Set.