Businesses in pulp, paper and packaging in United States are achieving sustainability performance improvements and productivity gains.
The 2014 Sustainability Report by the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) outlines the sector’s metrics and progress towards sustainability goals for 2020.
Key points are also summarised in a video on YouTube.
- 63% recycling rate for paper
- 15% reduction in GHG emissions compared to 2005
- 8% reduction in purchased energy
- 24% reduction in reportable safety incidents since 2006
- 6% reduction in water use.
And these have not meant sacrificing efficiency and productivity with the sector showing:
- 36% increase in productivity between 2001 and 2011.