Who is this qualification designed for?
Senior Managers, Engineering Officers and Technical Officers who have who have a high level of knowledge of an organisation’s operations and responsibility for sustainability strategy, auditing and improvements in the enterprise. The qualification will also suit externally employed individuals such as environmental consultants who wish to undertake professional development in advising enterprises on sustainable operations strategies.
These personnel are employed by enterprises, governments, consulting independent auditing organisations.
Most people performing this job role will have significant industrial experience and/or hold a VET qualification at Diploma level or above or a degree in engineering, production management, competitive systems and practices or environmental science or management, or similar qualification.
What fields do they work in?
These personnel work in a very wide range of fields such as:
- operations or production management
- energy/water/waste auditing
- developing strategies for measuring and minimising use of carbon emissions
- developing strategies for measuring and minimising use of water
- developing regulatory reports
- establishing training and compliance regimes inside an enterprise
- establishing energy efficiency technologies and services inside an organisation
- water treatment, storm and wastewater management
- resources management across the value stream
- solid and hazardous waste management.
What is their job role?
These personnel develop and implement policy, procedures and plans to measure and improve the performance on an organisation in terms of sustainability related factors and ensure that legislative and commercial sustainability related obligations are met. This includes:
- recognising potential and actual impacts of current and planned operations
- implementing and monitoring appropriate preventative and corrective actions to minimise carbon related emissions harm to the environment
- coordinating overall organisational approach to sustainability
- contributing to management anlaysis of the economic implications of sustainability on the current and future operations of the enterprise.
What kinds of work do they do?
Most personnel will take a leadership role in a medium to large enterprise that is seeking to take a strategic approach to improving its sustainability performance. They will also need to be able to handle very large data sets and computer modelling. They will analyse information to prepare reports and strategies for a wide range of audiences and purposes.