The ISO 14000 family of standards addresses various aspects of environmental management which aims to control and improve the environmental performance of an organisation as measured against objectives. The standards are voluntary.
The family of standards includes:
- ISO 1400 1 :2004 Environmental Management Systems (requirements)
- ISO 14004:2004 Environmental Management Systems (guidelines)
- ISO 14050:2009 Environmental management – Vocabulary
- ISO 14040:2006 Environmental management – Life cycle assessment – Principles and framework
- ISO 14064 and ISO 14065 standards for greenhouse gas accounting
Other relevant issues such as labeling, performance evaluation, corporate social responsibility, communication and auditing are covered by other ISO standards.